Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tactlessness

Today I wish to touch upon tactlessness. Ironically I may need to be rather tactless in the course of this post.

What do I mean? Tactlessness is defined, interestingly enough as showing a lack of tact, or sensitivity that befits a certain situation (btw I did not spew out a dictionary just then). Here is an example:

Say we had an assessment task, make it a speech yes a speech. Many people get full marks, apparently without breaking a sweat at all. The following exchange may take place:

Random: How was it?

Full marker: Oh I got full marks. It wasn't hard to get full marks. (OR) Everyone got full marks (OR) whatever.

Random (who happened not to get full marks): ...

Yeah this is hypothetical and may be exaggerated but it can happen.

It comes as an annoyance that people can do that. Though they clearly do not mean it, the impression that they are getting across is "it was a pushover and you would have had to have an IQ of zero to not ace it".

And what's worse is that they proclaim their ill-timed and formed generalisations to the world. That is, they say it loud enough for people nearby to clearly hear. People nearby who did not score fantastically well might I add.

At school, being a marks-orientated environment, the person on the receiving end will feel rather inadequate and shatty in the light of these comments, needless to say.

That's all I have to say about that. For now.

I am sorry if any of what I have said offends you. As I said, I may have had to be tactless myself.

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays. Don't study too hard! =D

Goodbye for now.

6 comments:

  1. 'tis a pity and a shame.
    a byproduct of this environment.

    like gas is a byproduct of digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh, like maths 1 after getting 4U back...=P

    Or like thomas' brother + the disability incident.

    still, its what we do, and should do less of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didnt get mine back. :'(


    enjoy ur hols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happens to me so much in maths :(

    i'm feeling rather tactless with my extra large pee pee in front of your NO pee :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Z-hang, it was Thomas's brother and ADOPTION. Get it right, lolol.

    YES, this happens a lot at our school and is something people are seemingly proud of, until they get picked out on it and then they act like victims as well.

    This was also especially prevalent with what the people in 2U maths copped. Insults were thrown at 2U people even though many in the grade aren't doing 3/4 English, and English is the COMPULSORY subject.

    Goes to show what kind of values and commonsenselessness happens at Ruse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what Gaylord said :(

    This happens all the time with 2u folk :(

    ReplyDelete