Saturday, June 27, 2009

Childhood misconceptions

As the title suggests, I am sure that as little younglings, you may all have had some sort of childhood misconceptions. Here are some of mine:

  • Thought that rendezvous was pronounced ren-dezz-vus instead of ron-day-vooo.
  • That batteries were called 'bones'.
  • That a car is a living thing that consumes petrol as food.
  • That the word for country was 'world'. Allow me to illustrate. Once I went to this guy, and I wanted to know where he came from. "What world are you from?" spake I. And he replied with bewilderment "Uhh, Earth?"
  • That plane toilets were extremely scary.
  • That Sherlock Holmes actually existed.
  • That misshapen was pronounced mish-happen.
  • That seat belts were supposed to look like a police officer's sam browne (yes this misconception was formed in Hong Kong where the police used to have sam brownes as part of their uniform).
Yeah those are some. Perhaps I may add more when I recall them.

Feel free to share some of yours, if you wish to, of course.

Oh, and another thing. Why do some shops spell their shop name with shoppe

E.g. Ye olde shoppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppe Haha I knew you'd like that, or maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. Had the petrol, rendezvous and world misconception before xD
    Used to think that house alarms were like bombs, once it beeps enough, KABOOOM.

    shoppe: used in store names in order to create a quaint old-fashioned impression. 20th century word...seems pretty try hardish if they want to attract the "senior citizens"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the hell? Batteries = Bones?

    You must tell the tale of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLANE TOILETS ARE STILL SCARY.

    THEY SOUND LIKE THEY'RE GOING TO SUCK YOU INTO SOME GIANT VORTEX T_T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was talking to people about how they thought babies came about, and Alice said something on the lines 'They inject the baby into you.' Funny times

    ReplyDelete